Organizing Challenge Week #1 - Laundry Room

After following her blog for many years, I finally decided to do A Bowl Full of Lemon's 14 week organizing challenge. I have been on an organizing kick since we've been quarantined but I still had a lot of work to do. The first week was a nice way to ease into it - organizing the laundry room. We have a small laundry room upstairs and I didn't think I needed to do much as there's only one shelf. But I quickly realized putting everything in baskets would really make a difference. 

BEFORE


AFTER



WHAT I DID:
  • I went through all the stuff on the shelf and moved out anything that didn't belong. There wasn't much - just some green plastic bowls and a pail and shovel (no clue why that was there).
  • I divided what was left into 4 categories and put it in a basket: 
    • Laundry - things I use for most loads - liquid fabric softener, dryer sheets, washer cleaner, etc. 
    • Backstock - extra detergent, dryer sheets, etc. 
    • Hangers - I took all the hangers down and put them in a basket. This looks so much better and it's easier for when I do hang up stuff to air dry. 
    • Misc - this was stuff like my iron (which I never use), washer and dryer manuals, etc.
  • I created labels, although I had to use additional ribbon to hang them from the handle as the string on the label was too short 
  • I left the Tide and Woolite out and put it in the easiest to reach place

FAVORITE PRODUCTS:
  • Laundry baskets are from Crate & Barrel. I bought them in early 2020 and they are great (I don't see them on their site anymore). In our house, no one has laundry baskets in their rooms. Everyone puts their laundry here right away. 
  • Baskets are from Bed Bath & Beyond
  • Labels are from Michaels 


Comments