Organizing Challenge Week #3: The Kitchen



I was excited to work on my kitchen this week. Since the four of us (and a puppy) were always home, this room has gotten more use than ever. I realized the countertops were becoming full and there was no room to do anything on them. Just a few small changes have made a big difference. 

BEFORE






AFTER 



BEFORE





AFTER 







WHAT I DID: 

  • I had two containers on the counter for mail and other paperwork. I went through all the paperwork and put it into binders or threw it out. Then I took the multiple pens, post-it notes, etc. that were in the container and put them in drawers. 
  • Got rid of the dish drainer. Instead I bought a draining mat for the dishes that we hand wash. 
  • Moved the dog's stuff from the corner into the large basket on the beverage cooler
  • Found a space in the lazy susan for the toaster so it's put away when not in use
  • Repurposed a drawer for my husband's items that don't fit in his basket so there's a place for everything

FAVORITE PRODUCTS: 

  • OXO Silicone Drying Mat - From Target, great replacement for the large dish drainer
  • Large Milk Crate Basket - From Target, this is a great basket for all our puppy stuff and since it's so deep, no one has to see all the contents. I have the smaller size one next to it and that's where my husband keeps his stuff (wallet, mask, hat, etc.). I tried having a spot in our mudroom for him but he always put his stuff in the kitchen. Instead of fighting it, I created a space for him. 
  • Wine Rack - our wine rack is from Pottery Barn but we got it 20 years ago. Unfortunately they don't sell it anymore. 

Comments